Semi Slick

• Ok - quick report.

AD08R - they were great today. Very grippy, stable pressures and temps. Did not go off even over long 30 min stint.

I found them as good as (if not better) than my previous outing on R888 fronts (maybe 4 year old) and R888R rears (<12 months old)

Even managed to get laptime down another second to 2.42 (vbox ideal 2.41). Unfortunately video clip has some condensation

4pX5fUdH4yI

Unfortunately I have another problem. Something wrong with Clutch or Gearbox - will post on separate thread. I am meant to be on Spa track Tuesday and Wednesday too but I need to fix the car! Does anyone know any recommended XBow/Audi mechanics in the Spa Francorchamps area?

Thanks

• Does anyone know any recommended XBow/Audi mechanics in the Spa Francorchamps area?Thanks

Yes. I can recommend Cornelis Masson. They are are registered KTM X-Bow dealer. Ask for "Kurt", he is the mechanic.

Rue De Hottleux, 51
    4950 Waimes/Weismes
    Téléphone: 080/67.98.66
    Fax: 080/67.98.80
    Email: info@.be

Should be not even 15k away.

Michael

• If you drive 2,42 min in Spa, i think your balls are big enough to do this :Daumen hoch:

Haha. I was meant to be at Spa for 3 days this week and so was going to start pushing in ER and B2 on day 2 with slicks first before cementing the experience on road tyres on day 3. Unfortunately the car stopped working after day 1 so didn't get to complete the plan. Next time I guess :(

Thanks. I ended up taking the car to Wimmer on Tuesday as they had some parts in stock - however it turned out to be something that could be fixed that quickly.
    Car is back in UK now and will be fixed soon I hope!

• Just also going to try the Yokohama, 225 front and 265 rear. Thanks for your advices!

For the German buyers... there is a 10% coupon (PSOMMER17) valid for summer tyres on eBay - it ends today. :biggrin:

• Hallo Feunde,

Nun habe ich endlich Zeit gefunden, die Daten auszuwerten um den Toyo mit dem Yoko zu vergleichen. Also, selber Wagen, selber Fahrer und selbe Strecke, wobei natürlich eine Strecke nie wirklich gleich ist (Temperatur, Griplevel, etc.). Ausserdem ist die Messgenauigkeit mit dem GPS auch nicht 100%. Aber ok.

Vergleich Kurvengeschwindigkeiten (Toyo/Yoko):
    Kurve 1: 104/106
    Kurve 2: 94/90
    Kurve 3: 86/89
    Kurve 4: 98/97
    Kurve 5; 118/124
    Kurve 6: 131/132

Bei den G-Spitzen-Messungen, hat der Toyo immer einen leichten Vorteil, interessanter Weise auch dort, wo die Kurvengeschwindkeit geringer ist, was darauf hindeuten könnte, dass der Reifen kurzzeitig mehr Grip aufbaut aber dann leicht nachgibt.

Fazit: Mit diesen Daten ist der Unterschied, angesichts der Messtoleranz und der Griplevelspannweite der Piste, nicht nachweisbar.

Vielleicht wissen wir mehr, wenn wir zusammen in Hockenheim oder Spa fahren, dann ist wenigsten der Griplevel der Piste identisch.

LG

Stephan.

• Hallo Stephan,

vielen Dank für diesen Vergleich! :Daumen hoch:
    Es scheint ja demnach so, dass der Performance-Unterschied der beiden Reifen deutlich kleiner ist als der Preis-Unterschied... :denk:

LG
    Christoph

• Just also going to try the Yokohama, 225 front and 265 rear. Thanks for your advices!

For the German buyers... there is a 10% coupon (PSOMMER17) valid for summer tyres on eBay - it ends today. :biggrin:

Out of interest, are the sizes you quote above common alternative sizes for the XBow? What is the main driver - wider rubber on the road or price/availability?

Hallo Stephan,

vielen Dank für diesen Vergleich! :Daumen hoch:
    Es scheint ja demnach so, dass der Performance-Unterschied der beiden Reifen deutlich kleiner ist als der Preis-Unterschied... :denk:

LG
    Christoph

+1 my conclusion too

• Out of interest, are the sizes you quote above common alternative sizes for the XBow? What is the main driver - wider rubber on the road or price/availability?

I would not have tried these sizes, but the previous owner decided to assemble them. In comparison to my old Xbow (Toyo 888 205 front and 255 rear) I am happy with the sizes and as well they are registered in the car document. It is only my subjective opinion, I did not try to compare the sizes as Stephan compared the different tyres by times (by the way: good job @ Stephan).

• Meine Erfahrungen in Anneau du Rhin, eine Strecke die ich sehr gut kenne, mit R888 bzw. R888R, beide vorne 205 und hinten 255.

Über die Runde bin ich mit dem neuen R888R (1'19.9") etwa eine 1/2 Sekunde langsamer, vielleicht auch nur weil ich älter werde.

Vorne weg, ich hatte NIE einen Reifenschaden, weder mit dem R888R noch R888 :Ausrufezeichen:

Der R888 ist in langsamen Kurven schneller und der R888R tendenziell besser in den schnellen.

Der R888R ist steifer in der Karkasse und vermittelt ein gutes Gefühl, der Grenzbereich ist jedoch schmaler und schwieriger abzuschätzen als beim R888.

Auf der Bremse ist der R888 etwas besser, da er vorne wärmer wird als der R888R.

Im Nassen sind beide Reifen schlecht, wobei der R888R noch schlimmer ist. Für Nässe habe ich mir für dieses Jahr AD08R gekauft; bin gespannt.

Vorteil beim R888R ist, dass er nicht Laufrichtung gebunden ist und so links/rechts vertauscht werden kann, entsprechend der Abnutzung. Nachteil ist, das 50% der Reifen verkehrt herum laufen :wacko:

• So...this week I think I was lucky to just miss a R888R failure on an M3. Although not XBow related, I thought it might be interesting to share the pictures here.

I went to a regional track called Snetterton in a E46 M3 running well used R888R tyres. The front tyres were low on the inside edge (front is running approx 3-3.5 neg camber) but I thought it might have 1-2 track days left in it. The track is two hours away for me and since the tyres were close to legal minimum, I drove the car there and back on a different set of fronts wheels and changed to the R888R fronts at the circuit

Had a great day, first time on this circuit - the track and car turned out to be fairly aggressive on the tyres. At the end of the day I took off the front tyres to replace with the road wheels and was shocked to see the outside front tyre had an extreme radial gash with wire mesh showing underneath. The tyre was still air tight but must have been at risk of failing at any time.

My learning points from this were:
    - The R888R can deceptively look like there is plenty of rubber but actually you are close to the structure/wire mesh of the tyre underneath (and maybe all tyres but I think the shape of the R888R lends itself to this)
    - High neg camber cars may be more at risk where the rest of the tyre seems like there is lots of rubber left but the inner shoulder is actually very low
    - Once the inner should wears significantly the tyre structural strength is compromised. Of course on closed wheeled cars it is important to keep an eye on the inner shoulder as you can't see it easily.

Anyway, not sure if the above is R888R specific or a problem for any high wear tyre. Pics attached.

• ....und wie sich die Bilder gleichen...absolut krass...für mich persönlich eine ganz eindeutige Bestätigung das der R888R absoluter Schrott und LEBENSGEFÄHRLICH ist.... Fahre den R888 bereits seit 7 Jahren und hatte nie Probleme mit Reifenschäden und mir war auch kein Schaden bekannt, beim R888R überschlagen sich ja die Defekte förmlich...Wie Lebensmüde soll Mann bitte sein und diesen Reifen fahren ??? Ich hoffe stark das Toyo hier mitliest und den R888R schnellstmöglich vom Markt nimmt und den "alten guten" R888 uneingeschränkt in allen Dimensionen weiter produziert!!

Bin gespannt ob erst jemand sterben muss auf Grund dieser meiner Meinung nach offensichtlichen Fehlkonstruktion oder der Hersteller vorher aktiv wird!!