Beiträge von LaSource

Hi. I am currently at Spa.

1st session on slicks.
    Lap 5 at Pouhon, sudden loss of power.
    Engine, gearbox, clutch all fine. But no boost. No hissing/boost leak noise.

The guys at LLM mecasport/La Source currently looking at it but not found any loose hoses or anything.

Is this a common problem? Any ideas?
    Will ask Wimmer next I guess.

You are right. I agree.
    It was one of those last minute events - booked 5 hours in advance, XBow being fixed, thought I could get a day at a new track from them.

But yes, they were well worn - probably a bit irresponsible with hindsight.

But I thought maybe useful for others to note.

It would appear the issue is at the inside edge of these tyres.

Here is the other front tyre which did not exhibit the same catastrophic wear on the outer side of the tyre. But you can see the inner tube is beginning to degrade on this without it being apparent on the outside.

It is a shame as I was originally a big fan of this tyre for track grip.

These examples are from an E46 M3 where the weight of the car is at the front and hence the front inside shoulder having the issue. On the XBows I guess the rear inside shoulder is under more stress.

Ok - some more photos for posterity.

Some pictures of the inside of the tyre

Super Vergleich Stephan! Danke !
    Vorallem weiß ich du lässt es auch gut Fliegen und die Zeiten sind konstant!

Jetzt fehlt ein Vergleich im Regen Toyo vs. Yoko

haha - that could be a complete lap vs a picture from a grassy field :)

So...this week I think I was lucky to just miss a R888R failure on an M3. Although not XBow related, I thought it might be interesting to share the pictures here.

I went to a regional track called Snetterton in a E46 M3 running well used R888R tyres. The front tyres were low on the inside edge (front is running approx 3-3.5 neg camber) but I thought it might have 1-2 track days left in it. The track is two hours away for me and since the tyres were close to legal minimum, I drove the car there and back on a different set of fronts wheels and changed to the R888R fronts at the circuit

Had a great day, first time on this circuit - the track and car turned out to be fairly aggressive on the tyres. At the end of the day I took off the front tyres to replace with the road wheels and was shocked to see the outside front tyre had an extreme radial gash with wire mesh showing underneath. The tyre was still air tight but must have been at risk of failing at any time.

My learning points from this were:
    - The R888R can deceptively look like there is plenty of rubber but actually you are close to the structure/wire mesh of the tyre underneath (and maybe all tyres but I think the shape of the R888R lends itself to this)
    - High neg camber cars may be more at risk where the rest of the tyre seems like there is lots of rubber left but the inner shoulder is actually very low
    - Once the inner should wears significantly the tyre structural strength is compromised. Of course on closed wheeled cars it is important to keep an eye on the inner shoulder as you can't see it easily.

Anyway, not sure if the above is R888R specific or a problem for any high wear tyre. Pics attached.

Just also going to try the Yokohama, 225 front and 265 rear. Thanks for your advices!

For the German buyers... there is a 10% coupon (PSOMMER17) valid for summer tyres on eBay - it ends today. :biggrin:

Out of interest, are the sizes you quote above common alternative sizes for the XBow? What is the main driver - wider rubber on the road or price/availability?

Hallo Stephan,

vielen Dank für diesen Vergleich! :Daumen hoch:
    Es scheint ja demnach so, dass der Performance-Unterschied der beiden Reifen deutlich kleiner ist als der Preis-Unterschied... :denk:

LG
    Christoph

+1 my conclusion too

Hello. It is really a problem with the gear box ?

I took the car to Wimmer - they took out the clutch & gearbox housing and reported that the clutch was fine and problem seemed to be in the gearbox. As it couldn't be fixed immediately anymore, the car has come back to UK. Gearbox will be stripped down next week to see what we find.

If you drive 2,42 min in Spa, i think your balls are big enough to do this :Daumen hoch:

Haha. I was meant to be at Spa for 3 days this week and so was going to start pushing in ER and B2 on day 2 with slicks first before cementing the experience on road tyres on day 3. Unfortunately the car stopped working after day 1 so didn't get to complete the plan. Next time I guess :(

Thanks. I ended up taking the car to Wimmer on Tuesday as they had some parts in stock - however it turned out to be something that could be fixed that quickly.
    Car is back in UK now and will be fixed soon I hope!

Hi - So XBow is not well today after one day at Spa.

There is a loud rattle coming from clutch area (goes away when clutch is pressed).
    When driving in 1,2,3 gears there is a loud rattle/metallic sounds from the back of the car.
    In 4th gear the sound becomes very loud.
    The clutch doesn't have a smooth biting point anymore - the car suddenly lurches forward. Reverse the car was not happy - it kept 'getting stuck' once moving backwards.

I am thinking the problem could be: Bearing plate, Flywheel, or gearbox. Any similar experiences?

Also, any recommended garages to fix the car near Spa Francorchamps? I will be showing the car to RSR mechanic first thing in the morning but not sure if they will have time to fix.

Thanks